Martin’s Murmur

Our boy went to the cardiologist yesterday to have his heart murmur checked out. Turns out it’s grade 5 and it’s pretty serious. The doctor said it was good we came in because he could have cardiac arrest at any moment from the looks of his echocardiogram. (NOTE: Video below is just 37 seconds long.)

We found the only board certified veterinary cardiologist in Austin, Dr. Charla Jones, and she was great. She has a wonderful facility and staff and they took plenty of time to explain everything to us. The main problem with Martin is that his left atrium is over twice as large as his right and they should be exactly the same size. Martin’s diagnosis: chronic valve disease.

Martin whined and groaned through the entire procedure, even though it didn’t hurt him at all. He was just scared. He’s on medication now that will hopefully slow down the heart disease and make his heart a little more efficient. We’re hoping for many more years with Martin, even though we found out he’s older than we thought. He’s at least eight years old, maybe older, and there’s no telling how stressful the first part of his life was before Central Texas Dachshund Rescue took him into their care. Martin was an owner surrender. His previous owners said they had too many dogs at their house so they wanted to get rid of the old one.

, , , ,

1,690 Responses to Martin’s Murmur

1. Meghan September 3, 2008 at 10:46 am #

I am so sorry to hear about Martin – I hope he has many more years to spend with you too. At least we know he is in a great home and gets lots of love every day!

2. Therese September 3, 2008 at 10:51 am #

I’m sorry to hear Martin’s having such serious problems, but thank goodness you got him to a cardiologist. I’m hoping the meds will do the trick and keep him happy and healthy for a long time to come!

3. Melissa September 3, 2008 at 11:35 am #

Oh, I hope his medicine can help. It is heartwarming to know that he has such a great mom and pops! Give him a sweet hug from The Littles. We are rooting for you, Martin.

4. Brenda September 3, 2008 at 12:12 pm #

Pobrecito. My heart goes out to Martin & his “folks”. Extra snuggles to all of you.
    xoxoxo mz. b

5. De September 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm #

Dear Sue and Allan,

I am so sorry to hear the news about Martin. Dr. Charla was the one that found Rosie’s murmur. I know the desperation you feel. After a couple of years of meds my vet took her off of them. She told me to take her home and enjoy her. As you know Rosie is my world and I cannot imagine life without her.

I found out all of this after I adopted her and tried to have her neutered. My vet at the time began to put her out for the procedure and she began to go into cardiac arrest. They brought her out just in time. That’s When we brought in Dr. Charla.

Many people have heart murmurs as well and live very normal lives, but it’s different when it’s your baby.

My love and support are always with you.

Sincerely,
    Your friends Rosie and De

6. Marlene September 3, 2008 at 1:35 pm #

Hi Sue,
    I’m so sorry to hear about Martin. I hope that the medication works quickly and that he does have a long and happy life. It is so upsetting to hear bad news about our pets. I had a cockapoo named Muffin who had a murmur for her entire life, (detected shortly after we adopted her as a puppy). Our dog Ollie, who just passed away last year at the age of 17 also had a heart murmur for about the last 8 years of his life. Just 3 months ago, our vet heard a murmur in Snoopy but when he was rechecked last week, he had actually improved! So, as you know, anything can happen, no matter how bleak the initial diagnosis. Martin’s situation could improve, and I will certainly be thinking of all of you and hoping for the best. He does have a wonderful home and I think that animals get better sometimes just because they think that they can!
    Love,
    Marlene

7. Lisa September 3, 2008 at 1:54 pm #

Hey there Sue and Allan. So sorry to hear about little Martin’s heart. But I know he will pull through this and live many more happy years with the best humans a dog could ever hope for.

Lisa

8. Jennie September 3, 2008 at 2:20 pm #

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that. I know how hard this must be for everyone concerned…

I’ll keep you, Allan and of course, Martin in my thoughts.

Jennie

9. Jenny September 3, 2008 at 2:34 pm #

Sue and Allen,
    I am so sorry to hear about Martin. I am glad you found a great doctor, and am sure it will make you appreciate the time you have with him even more. He is a great dog with great parents

10. lila loves your blog. September 3, 2008 at 3:49 pm #

You know how much I care for all dogs/cats/animals. Having just gone through a similar situation with my 46 year old son (he was told he had such severe heart damage he had two years to live – this last Mother’s Day) – he recently had tests and his damaged heart had reconfigured itself and he could have his pacemaker removed!
    Miracles do happen and you and Allen are the best dog caregivers/lovers I know. Martin is in wonderful hands.

As you know, I am grateful for every day with Eliot, our 11 year old Golden who nearly died from a bit of inattention from our vet. He now seems back to his wonderful, healthy self – but I cherish every second he is with us. I know you will too. Just keep loving him.

11. Willie Bee September 3, 2008 at 9:33 pm #

Dear Sue and Allan,

This just breaks my heart in two! Maggie doesn’t know yet; I’ll break the news to her tomorrow morning.

Sending love to all of you,

Will

12. Denise September 4, 2008 at 10:26 am #

Sue,
    I hope Martin is feeling good and handling his medications well! Give us a call next week and let us know how he’s doing!
    Denise

13. Brandy September 4, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

Hey Guys,

Martin is really lucky to have such great owners like the two of you. He has been such a great foster brother for the little ones that come to your home for foster care. Now that you have found the problem and got him on some medicine, I’m feeling pretty positive about his heart getting stronger. I have seen dogs come back from some crazy circumstances in my years as a vet tech. Give him a kiss for me. XXOO
    Love you Martin!!!

14. Christy Garibay (Zander's Mom) September 9, 2008 at 10:04 am #

A rescue dog is like no other. Their bodies might tell us what they’ve been through, but their hearts are resilient. Hope Martin’s feeling better soon!

-Christy

15. Kristin September 9, 2008 at 2:42 pm #

Go Martin! Stay strong – some fellow rescues are rooting for you!

16. spike September 11, 2008 at 9:49 am #

Sorry to hear the scary news. I have some South Austin friends who have a dachshund with a heart problem and they got her a pacemaker at A&M. Really!

17. Joan September 13, 2008 at 5:43 am #

Martin is lucky to have you. I hope you have many years ahead of you.

xoxo