Bill Smith is my new hero!

Let’s Make Puppy Mills Illegal!

Puppy mills are not illegal, but they should be. I watched Oprah yesterday, it was a very painful but important show about the Puppy Mill Industry. There are as many as 10,000 puppy mills operating in the United States. It’s a disgrace.

Lisa Ling joined Bill Smith, founder of Main Line Animal Rescue, as they toured several puppy mills with undercover cameras. They rescued as many dogs as they could, but there were hundreds left behind.

MLAR logo

I had not heard of Main Line Animal Rescue until yesterday. I’m in awe of the work they have done. Bill has fostered relationships with hundreds of breeders across Pennsylvania in order to save dogs’ lives. He has managed to convince these breeders to call him before killing their unwanted dogs. They rescue and then rehabilitate these animals so that they can have a second chance for a better life. MLAR has rescued over 7,000 animals to date, 5,000 have been from puppy mills. Bill Smith is truly a saint, it’s not surprising that he won the ASPCA Lifetime Achievement Award in November 2007. Bill Smith is my new hero.

Bill Smith with rescue Charlotte below

bill-smith.jpg

photo by Michael Bryant/Inquirer Staff Photographer

NOTE: I generally like to keep my website upbeat and fun. I LOVE sharing the happy ending stories of the rescue dogs that I meet and photograph, however I feel so strongly about this issue that I knew it had to be included on my site. PLEASE spread the word and tell your friends never to even CONSIDER buying a dog from a store!

I encourage everyone to watch Oprah’s show from April 4, 2008.
Also, please see the links below for more information. Thank you.

Humane Society Puppy Buyers Guide

Main Line Animal Rescue

Oprah April 4, 2008

Stop Puppy Mills

, , , , , ,

2,155 Responses to Bill Smith is my new hero!

1. lisa April 6, 2008 at 10:33 am #

We’re an all-rescue family and we heartily agree! :)
    Dreaming of a leash-free world~ always! woof!woof! lisa, Clementine & Cupcake + Bounce & Dave

2. Tami April 8, 2008 at 9:58 pm #

This story leaves hope and a real need for more
    people like Bill across the country to help save dogs’ lives. I am so moved by this story that I want to help make a difference. I am going to seek out a rescue shelter in my area and volunteer my services!

3. Charlie April 19, 2008 at 12:01 am #

Bill Smith is not a saint. Sure he may do some good things, but he is pompous and arrogant. Check out the dog fight segment on nbc10.com.

4. Yes, Go BILL!! May 4, 2008 at 7:56 pm #

I have rescued two dogs from MLSPCA, and both are happy, safe, and kept up to date on ALL their health issues. If it weren’t for Bill, these family members would not be enjoying their comfy and safe happy lifestyle. Bill is the best.

5. Verysupercool Sue May 7, 2008 at 6:29 pm #

Wow, thanks for the comment! So you actually adopted some dogs that Bill rescued! That is so great! Adopting an animal in need is the best feeling. Give your two rescue dogs a big hug from me. XOXO

6. Sarah McEwen May 30, 2008 at 7:47 am #

I rescue neglected and abused dogs from bad homes and have taken 5 from a puppy mill in my area. I have tried to shut it down, but the state hasn’t done anything about it. I watched Oprah on May 29, and it outraged me even more. I can’t take this any longer… these people have to be stopped and prosecuted. I am asking everyone to come together and help me, and all the other people who are trying to stop this. Please e-mail me with any ideas you may have. slmcewen29@yahoo.com. Thank you all!

7. Verysupercool Sue May 30, 2008 at 8:44 am #

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for all the rescue work you do, that’s so wonderful. I really think you should go to http://www.stoppuppymills.org and go the section: Tell Your Story and share with them what you are going through. I think they can really help you in many ways if you ask them. Good luck to you and please give those puppies a hug from me. XOXO Sue

8. Very Disappointed. June 3, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

Not a fan anymore.
    I’ve done animal rescue my whole life.
    I still ahve 3 feral cats whom I love dearly.
    I hada series of family tragedies and also lost my job.
    Last year when I was flush I donated 4,000
    to the rescue.
    I recently asked them for some of it back, even as a loan so I can take care of my pets until my house sells.
    They replied they cant help.
    I asked for help with pet food and they ignored me.
    3,000,000 raised for new clinic and they couldnt help me out temporarily.
    I now will probably have to give up my beloved pets because I have COPD and am running out of any funds.

9. Ralph June 12, 2008 at 2:32 pm #

Wait a minute! Bill is my hero. Don’t know if I want to share. Seven wonderful dogs from MLAR rescue surround me. Most of the pack were a challenge to place in new homes. Being a sucker I brought them home. My gain. I love everyone of my mottly crew.

10. Kim Duncan October 7, 2008 at 8:01 am #

Bill Smith is an angel sent from heaven. The work he does is endless and saves so many animals in need. The Puppy Mill’s all over the country have got to be SHUT DOWN. It outradges me the horror and the unthinkable conditions those babies are in. Bill keep up the good work. And I pray we can once and for all shut down these places. In the meantime, NEVER get a puppy from a Pet store. Let’s keep them out of business by never purchasing on of their puppy mill puppies.

11. RASHOD March 4, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

hey bill thanks for helping the dogs you are a very nice man i hope you suceed in what you are a doing im in the seventh grade in centennial middle and we are doing a project to help the stray cats and dogs in miami dade i hope you appreciate our help that we are trying to make the dogs in the world more safer i love the animals and i thank you for doing that agian and um out peace ~kidd~ HOLLISTER?

12. AaronG April 7, 2009 at 2:06 pm #

Adoption process is very tedious at MLAR. Bill micromanages the entire process. My family couldn’t adopt a dog from him because I work on the weekends and he wouldn’t meet with us any other time. I’ve found our local SPCA to be much more professional and 100x more accommodating. Not to mention much cleaner. My wife and I were surprised at the conditions at MLAR. Dog poop was everywhere. I’m no vet, but it seems like they have too many animals, and are short on people to keep the facilities clean. It could be just that they were at capacity when I visited, but the two local spca’s had much better conditions for the dogs. I appreciate the work they do to stop the puppy mills, but I feel that the SPCAs do a much better job boarding the dogs and rehomeing them. Animal welfare is where my family directs most of our charitable donations every year. I would never give to anyone other than an SPCA.

13. wendy July 20, 2009 at 6:44 pm #

i am working with best friends with their “puppies aren’t products” campaign. we table outside pets stores in southern california and educate the public on puppy mills. thanks to bill and oprah, so many people are already aware of puppy mills. if anyone would like to join the campaign in their area, please contact tiffinih@bestfriends.org

14. san fran August 7, 2009 at 12:26 am #

Is Bill smith has direct email address?

15. Florence August 19, 2009 at 10:54 am #

Did Bill Smith mention where he went in Pennsylvania?What was the name of the breeder? I inherited a poodle from a breeder in Pennsylvania.

16. Lily May 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Yes, it was 2 years ago that I saw your show on OPrah. It impacted me. It made me change my course, my focus. I want to work in this area and make an impact!! I was so sad. I cried for days. I am now going to school and I want to become a vet. I just really would like to get INVolved and make a difference. I love animals. They are so pure, so defenseless. My dogs give me so much joy.I truly admire your work Bill. I pray that God will open doors for me to do the same. KEep it UP!!

17. Will Guiness December 3, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Bill Smith is one of the biggest assholes i have ever met in my life!

18. Patti February 9, 2011 at 3:16 am #

Just reading the comments regarding Bill’s micromanagement style, etc, makes me laugh. This sanctimonious idiot thinks he controls everything. He used to keep his dogs at a horse farm, where I boarded my horse. They slept on cement, to facilitate clean up, I assume. I brought the dogs blankets and kept them company. Bill never cared where they slept or how they felt; I rarely saw him. He misrepresents his dogs and himself; it makes me sick. You should absolutely adopt a dog from a shelter rather than him. The fact that he snowed Oprah and got on her show makes me want to vomit. He stole a dog from a woman in Philly and tries to make himself look like a saint. He is a pig.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes