Moses, pug with a positive outlook…

moses-bw.jpg

Pet Passions: He loves the basics: food, sleep, and affection. He’s an avid sailer (see photos below), loves long walks, car rides and networking at the Pug Meetups.

Pet Peeves: When the kitty bugs him while he’s trying to get some serious sack time. Doorbells make him crazy, as he is determined to protect his family even though he’s never quite sure which way to go.

Breed: Pug

Home Turf: Austin, Texas

Age (at time of photo session): 6 years

moses-sunset.jpg

In Moses’s case, The wrinkles are the window to the soul.

Story: Moses loves everyone, period. He’s a very personable, social and incredibly handsome Chinese Pug. When he was two years old, he lost his eyes while playing with a larger dog. The dog didn’t mean to hurt Moses, but he sustained injuries that resulted in him having both eyes removed. Don’t feel sorry for him though, he’s had a great life and he’s a very happy boy. Directly after the accident, Moses fell into a deep depression as it was undoubtedly confusing for him to understand why he couldn’t see anymore, he might have even thought he was being punished. His family rallied around him and nursed him through his physical and spiritual healing process, and in no time his spirits lifted, and then soared. Today, Moses lives in the moment and doesn’t spend one minute of the day feeling sorry for himself or being upset that he has no eyes. He’s too busy making new friends, begging for treats and taking time to smell, and then tinkle on the roses. For the past four years he’s been lifting the spirits of everyone who comes in contact with him. Moses has a positive outlook on life that reminds us all to live in the moment. We love him!

Moses profile

moses3.jpgmoses5.jpgmoses2.jpgmoses7.jpg

EVEN MORE ABOUT MOSES…
I met Moses at my favorite neighborhood grocery, Thom’s Market. Moses is the official mascot and frequently hangs out behind the counter where he is the official greeter. When I first saw Moses and learned he had no eyes, it made me so sad, but as I got to know him better and heard his story I found it inspiring. Mose’s dad considers himself Mose’s service dog. He helps Moses and shows him the way when he needs assistance, which incidentally isn’t that often!Moses’s family lived on a sailboat for a year or so and they were kind enough to let me post some photos from their journey. Bill plans to publish a children’s book one day about Moses and his sailing adventures! Moses loved being on the water and would take long naps on deck while enjoying the fresh ocean air. They claim that Moses occasionally took the wheel, helped in the galley, assisted with navigation, and checked the lines.(see photos below).

moses-navigates.jpgmoses-steers.jpg

moses-galley.jpgmoses-checking-the-line.jpg

My favorite photo is of Bill and Moses sitting on deck peacfully looking out over the water and keeping an eye on the ducks. One would never know that Moses can’t see a thing.

moses-and-ducks.jpg

Photographing Moses was really quite fun. It was a bit strange trying to get Moses to look at the camera, when in fact there is no real “looking” going on in Moses’s life. I’m just glad I got to know him a little better, he’s a super sweet boy with great character. Below is a silly little video I threw together for those that won’t be able to visit Moses in person.

If you live in Austin, go by and see Moses at Thom’s Market, 418 Barton Springs Road, near Zilker Park. He’ll be sure to lift your spirits and bring a smile to your face!

, , , , , ,

1,551 Responses to Moses, pug with a positive outlook…

1. Brandy February 23, 2008 at 4:51 pm #

I’ve met Moses, or as I call him Wrinkles, and he’s a really sweet boy! I love his extra wrinkles!

2. Cheryl Finfrock February 24, 2008 at 9:08 am #

Got to meet Moses in person, he’s adorable!

3. Jenny Bishop February 24, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

I hope I get to meet Moses when I come to town next week – he seems really sweet!

4. Ellie Wells February 24, 2008 at 8:11 pm #

Wow, that’s a really inspiring story that reminds us all we have no reason to feel sorry for ourselves. Thanks Moses!

5. lisa February 25, 2008 at 1:06 am #

He’s GORGEOUS!!! And your photos are amazing!! Clementine is ready and waiting!

6. ellen March 13, 2008 at 10:42 am #

I followed your link from the CABN site. What amazing dog photos. I’m still trying to find a way to blog about my boyz, but am naming new, cool, eco-chic products after them. BTW, one’s from the SPCA and one was found in our ‘hood park. Dog is my co-pilot!

7. Verysupercool Sue March 13, 2008 at 10:55 am #

Ellen,
    Dog is my co-pilot too! I’m so glad you enjoyed the site. I DO love my job, that’s for sure! Upload your boys to my new Flickr site and tell their story if you get a chance! It’s all about sharing the dog love!
    Thanks again for commenting,
    Sue

8. Norma Lehmeier Hartie March 13, 2008 at 11:11 am #

How sweet!
    My 14 year old Pug, Toast, is blind and deaf. She went blind a few years ago, slowly. As her eyesight diminished, she would sit on my husband’s lap and stare at me, as if she knew that at one point she would no longer be able to see She gets along well, for the most part. We have one level in our house, so that’s good. We just carry her down the stairs to go out.

She sleeps a lot, naturally. But the neat thing is, she dreams in her sleep and I am sure she can “see” then.

I work at home, so I am almost always there for her. She is pampered and loved dearly.

Here is a link to a photo of her from awhile back. (Scroll to bottom of page.)

9. Verysupercool Sue March 13, 2008 at 11:20 am #

Toast, what a great name, and a sweet old face. Thanks so much for sharing! Taking care of a sweet animal is one of the best feelings in the world, isn’t it? Sounds like you’re lucky to have Toast in your life, and she’s very lucky to have you.

Please give her a big hug for me!

XOXOXO

Sue

10. Joan April 7, 2008 at 7:25 pm #

Sad, funny, inspiring, Moses.

11. Bill Thom September 23, 2008 at 8:39 pm #

I’m sorry to report that Moses passed away on Monday, September 22, 2008.

12. Willie Bee October 1, 2008 at 3:22 pm #

I am SO SORRY I never got to meet Moses. A really lovely piece on a remarkable dog, Sue.

13. Hello December 5, 2008 at 8:38 pm #

I would have loved to meet Moses.He looks like such a sweet like pug.He’s adorable!

14. Linda April 28, 2009 at 5:09 am #

It brought a tear to my eyes about Moses passing. I have a 5 year old Pug named Pugi and he is my life, I went through cancer and he never left my side. Moses passed on my mom’s bday. He was a gorgeous Pug! They are an amazing breed and I swear they know every word you say!

15. l December 30, 2009 at 6:04 pm #

Hi. just found your site after googling “pug with no eyes”.
    my 9 year old one-eyed blind diabetic pug is going through some major issues with his one eye. I hope he doesn’t lose it, but if he does, I’m glad there are other pug with no eyes out there! :)

16. Elaine February 26, 2010 at 10:18 am #

God, it makes me feel good to know that there are Folks out there who love Pugs as much as we DO !! Give Moses a “wrinkle rub” for us!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Thought You All Would Enjoy This - February 14, 2011

[…] You All Would Enjoy This Especially for Valentines day: Moses, pug with a positive outlook… Take care, Lisa In a gentle way, you can shake the world. – Mohandas Gandhi Reply […]

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes